Colleges + Social Media

 Preface

    So a little side note, since starting my library career I always knew I wanted to be in a higher education library setting. I love assisting patrons with their academic, professional, and personal pursuits especially via information and/or material retrieving. I think it is incredibly rewarding and it is a small step or puzzle you helped a patron and their larger picture with.

    That being said, at the start of this summer semester I had been a programming librarian for a public library for about 1.5 years. I am incredibly excited and proud to announce that I have recently accepted a job at the local state university as a librarian/assistant professor. My first day is July 1st and I cannot wait for that Monday to start a new chapter of my librarian career. 

Schitt's Creek gif. Dan Levy as David claps his hands and pumps his fists, smiling with emotion in his eyes.

Image SourceGiphy.com

Social Media + College Admissions

    Before reading the following links and articles, I want to say that I am both understanding and disapproving of social media being used against someone. I believe that social media on a foundational level is a platform or various ones that enable a user to express how they are feeling in a specific moment through text, videos, or pictures with others who may feel similar. Sometimes people post a lot of negative behavior and inappropriate commentary which can hinder their future such as college admission or being hiring somewhere. Other times it should not mostly cause negative consequences for individuals sharing what they enjoy or believe in. Unfortunately, social media can be interpreted and shared in many various ways and that in itself is dangerous.

The Readings

    I chose to read the following:

  1. Perspective | How to Sabotage Your Chance of Getting into College 
  2. How Can Social Media be a Good Witch for College Admissions? 
  3. Rise Seen in Admissions Officers Checking Social Media 
    After reading the various articles, I would say the readings did not suggest anything I did not already know. I think the percentage of admission officers for colleges and universities who check social media will continue to increase. I remember when I was applying for colleges and taking my SAT/ACT tests back over 10 years ago, some of my essay prompts where to discuss my viewpoint on freedom of speech and social media- should a person be judged by their social media?

    One article that did stand out to me was the How Can Social Media be a Good Witch for College Admissions? It made me think about students and collegiate prospectives should be encouraged and taught how to utilize social media at a younger age to promote extracurriculars and non-profit organizations such as Big Brothers Big SistersUnited Way, debate clubs, athletics, and more. 

    Something I would do with students or teens at the library would be to make a trivia game program that examines mock social media profile. We would discuss what is wrong/negative/inappropriate about the profile and what could be changed about it. We would also view and discuss good/positive/appropriate social media profiles and explore why they are so. I think it's also important to educate adults on social media etiquette, positivity, and appropriateness. Everyone could benefit from a social media training or webinar refresher as the world gets more and more digital. 

    Here are some helpful links I found to help educate students on the do's and don'ts of social media:

Comments

Popular Posts