Bienvenue!

                    

via GIPHY    

    Welcome to my blog and I'm excited to continue my MLIS journey with this summer semester. My name is Mack and I currently work in the programming department for the main branch of my parish (what a county is called in Louisiana) public system. You might think I work with technology or software when I say programming. Unfortunately I do not, but I do however work in creating programs (events) for the library to host for the public. I specialize in teen programming and it is a blast! My favorite program to do with them is a craft program I created called Art Smarts. For Art Smarts we meet up once a month to learn about a famous artist and try to recreate their artwork. The most memorable Art Smarts I've done would be my first one, we painted our own soup cans similar to Andy Warhol's work. When I am not doing a program I can be seen in the children's area finding Pete the Cat and Mo Willems books for young patrons or asking them not to run in the library. 

    When I'm not at the library I can be seen around town with my two wonderful miniature Australian shepherds Chewbacca (Chewie) and Finnley (Finn). They are full siblings, just different litters. They are my pride and joy. My older dog, Chewie is a therapy dog. We regularly volunteer with the local therapy dog group and participate in a number of visits to hospitals, universities, and my personal favorite- the library. It is so incredible being able to bring Chewie to work for a program called Fun with Fideaux. In this program, kids come practice their literacy skills in a judge-free, easy environment by reading to the therapy dogs in the children's area. Chewie has a little fanclub and loves receiving art from his readers. I like to tell people he's my academic child and my sport child is at home. Finn is a playful, wild lady but loves everyone. I hope when she's a little older she can also be a therapy dog like her brother. 

               



Author's Images

(Yes, they are annoyingly photogenic.)

    I would argue my relationship with technology has many facets. Working in a public library will make you question a lot of things and most notably, how do some patrons not know how to work what we normally see as basic technology? My personal favorite question from patrons is being asked if I know their email passwords or why I do not know their email passwords.

via GIPHY

(Sadly, my colleagues and I do not know their email passwords and never will.)

    Other questions I get asked at the reference desk are of a wide variety of topics. How do I stop condemning a house? Do you sell books here? Do you have any books on forensic sciences- mainly how to know if an autopsy was falsely done? Can you tell me when I was last paid? How do I fax something? How do I open the internet? Do you have any books on reading? The list goes on and on. 

    I use a lot of technology on a daily basis at work. I am in charge of the slideshow that appears on our catalog PCs (public computers) so I am frequently updating those slides with graphics I make using Canva as well as making sure they display properly by ensuring the web address to our catalog can be followed from the slideshow. Below are some of the slides I have made.




Author's Images

    As a teen programmer, I am hoping to learn how to use technology in an instructional and educational manner. A few of the state library trainings I have attended put a heavy emphasis on creating programs for young adults that build on their technical and "life" skills. I would love to do a resume 101 workshop or even host a program on how to make an effective PowerPoint, or teaching students how to use my library's online resources (especially since the majority are free and do not require a library card!) I wish to get a better grasp on how to integrate technology into programming to enhance user experience at the library. It is important to have these skills especially as an adult, so I want to help young patrons and develop these skills for their future by educating them on technology. 

Comments

  1. Hi, Mack!

    I am amazed by all that you do and for all the information you know already! Your Canva posters are so beautiful and fun that I can see why you are in charge of the slideshow! Not only are your posters beautiful but so are your dogs! The fact that you volunteer for the therapy dog group is incredible and I commend you for doing so much good out in the world! (Also, working in retail before, I felt those questions deep in my soul.)

    I couldn't agree with you more about the technology events you would like to host someday. Young people are always going to be better at figuring out the advancing technology but, working with high schoolers myself, the important life events such as making a resume is not so obvious. I remember when I was in my undergrad program that I was shocked at the resources my local library had. I'm rooting for you when you make these programs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you do for your library is amazing! I hope you are able to implement the programs to teach 'life' skills to teens and help them be more prepared for life outside of school. I love all the dog pictures! I think it's great that your library has a reading program with dogs to encourage kids to practice their skills in a judgement free zone. I love all of the silly questions you face on a daily basis, I would have a hard time trying to keep a straight face while explaining that I don't know their email passwords and why I don't know them!

    I think hosting a resume building workshop is something I will have to keep in mind for my library, since I want to work in a high school. I think it would be beneficial to the students I will work with, since I learned mostly from the internet myself, and my parents. Good luck starting these programs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love your Canva designs! I know a lot of high schools in my area encourage kids to make infographics for projects (I love them because they are so easy to grade!). You could add that to your workshop.

    Another "life skill" is password management. A lot of kids use '"123" as a password. I once witnessed a kid make his password with every letter and number on the keyboard... it was insane. There are a lot of password privacy apps you could introduce.

    I appreciated your point about assuming patron competence about "basic" technology. My 85-year-old grandma is a computer whiz but still wraps her flip phone in bubble wrap to protect her from any "frequencies" it might emit. I am sure if her phone rang at the library desk she wouldn't even hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic introduction to who you are both at work and outside of work, Mack. Thank you for the fabulous puppy pictures and links to learn more. As someone who does not work in a library setting, I chuckled at your patron questions. I'm looking forward to helping you navigate technology's role in education this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts