Active Learning

 

What is it?

     Active Learning is learning that engages the student to actively have them share their voice and choice. It helps to make learning experiential, mindful, and engrossed for students. Active Learning can be instructed through a variety of methods and activities. Iowa State University's Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching and University of Michigan's Center for Research on Learning and Teaching have wonderful lists that breakdown the various pedagogies. They can be viewed here and here. 

via GIPHY

Think-Pair-Share

    This is one of the active learning methods that I knew of before learning more in this module. My social media algorithms are always a little wonky and show me the most curious things but once it lead me to a TikTok creator named Alina Bitter. She is a kindergarten teacher in southern California. It was on one of her videos that I happen to see her instructing her students to think-pair-share (TPS) before sharing their solution with the class. 

    I never thought anything more of this other than, wow- what a bunch of cute students excited to work with each other and collaborate on ideas. Now learning about think-pair-share and other strategies, it is a method of active learning that encourages collaborating, opinion, and confidence in students. I shared a little bit more and some examples of how/when this strategy can be used below:


Image Source: Active Learning Strategies Slide Deck

Reflection
    I think TPS is a wonderful active learning strategy, especially when teaching a younger audience. It encourages teamwork and effective communication skills. This enables students to be more and more confident and successful with their future peers and colleagues. Though there are a few potential drawbacks of this strategy such as the possibility of a student dominating the conversation and perhaps lack of deep conversation at times- I think this is still one of the best active learning strategies when properly used and monitored with a younger audience. I personally have not used the method, at least not, accurately. When I do storytime outreaches I try to make sure kids are engaged, understand what is being read to them, and predict what it going to happen next. I do my best to enhance literacy and comprehension skills when I do such outreaches. I will have to think more on how I can use these strategies to my advantage as a programming librarian.

References:

Active Learning Strategies - Google Slides

https://prezi.com/vltahpm3b1hn/what-is-active-learning/?token=21acedd662237401cb58486f35352d6fba7d05e6b30cf495979ca34cbf121958&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy


Comments

  1. TPS was always my favorite part of history class because everyone brought something new to the table based off knowledge they already had. There was never a TPS session that did not go over or end with the teacher being annoyed with us because we would not stop sharing. It was always a fun day in class. I would love to incorporate it into a program at some point but I would have to think about how to do that a bit more before I actually did it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder that there are also drawbacks to some of the active learning strategies as well as advantages. The nice part is that there are so many to choose from to incorporate in various lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I really appreciate how you brought up the drawbacks to this strategy. I've been in classrooms where TPS has been used quite a few times (which is why a little exclamation point happened in my head when I read that in your post). Your thoughts on the drawbacks are very real. Some students are more forward than others or are uninterested for whatever reason and when it is time to share, there are awkward silences at time. I also see TPS through the lens of someone who works with Multilingual learners, where they might not be confident to share their thoughts if they aren't able to prepare beforehand. (Love the gif) You did a great post exploring active learning and TPS. It was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi McKenzie! I really liked the list you provided by University of Michigan. What a wonderful place for someone who is unfamiliar with active learning to start! The only active learning style I have real experience with is Think-Pair-Share. What's wonderful is if you extend it, you get the "snowball activity" which involves more pairs sharing. The end result is having more groups of students interact.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts